Tuesday, May 20, 2008

It Begins

Whats up everybody. Welcome to my blog. I set this up to keep friends and family updated as I head down to Memphis, TN for the next year or so. I just graduated from The College of Wooster on May 12th and have accepted a year long internship with Service Over Self (SOS), an urban home repair ministry, that will begin in late August. The ministry is based in one particular neighborhood in Memphis (Binghampton), but is extending to another adjacent neighborhood, (Orange Mound). I will be working with a few people to help establish this new branch. I'm really excited about this opportunity for a few reasons. First reason, Memphis is an incredible city. Secondly, I have wanted to get involved in some kind of outreach ministry for a while, and this provides the opportunity not only to reach out to people in the neighborhood, but also to the kids and leaders that we will have come through the camp in 2009. Thirdly, Memphis B-B-Q. Seriously unreal. I think I've been groomed for some kind of leadership position like this for a while, and I'm looking forward to the challenges and responsibilities associated with a position like the one I'm assuming. I will be the Intern Director of SOS Orange Mound (which is what this new branch will be called), and will have a lot of work to do to help establish this branch. The biggest challenge now will be raising the support I need to live down there for the next year. I have to raise roughly $15,000, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't intimidated by this task. I really just have to trust in God's provision and trust that somehow He'll provide. If your reading this and want to know more about this let me know, I have a real nice support letter I could send your way. I think I'll end this first post now. Hopefully this has been an acceptable introduction. More posts are on the way.

No comments: